Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Big Book Quote of the Day - May 20, 2009

"When we decide who is to hear our story, we waste no time. We have a written inventory and we are prepared for a long talk. We explain to our partner what we are about to do and why we have to do it. He should realize that we are engaged upon a life-and-death errand.  Most people approached in this way will be glad to help; they will be honored by our confidence."

- Alcoholics Anonymous, 4Th Edition, Into Action, pg. 75

When I did Step 4, I chose to share with my sponsor.  This was a man who from my sixth month in sobriety was picking me up and taking me to meetings (because I had no driving privileges) and occasionally I would take something from my dark file and share it with him and see if he blinked - which he didn't!

He was nice enough to share with me as I shared with him, helping me to realize that I was just another garden variety drunk.  There was nothing special or unique about what I did.  

Later on, I've had the opportunity or blessing and honor to listen to other men's Fourth Steps and give them the same guidance and wisdom that I received.  I've kept and honored the confidences they trusted to share with with me in revealing the dark secrets that they had been holding onto for many years. 

I truly feel blessed to be a part of this process and to help others to realize that there's nothing unique, special or different that any of us have done.  We're all just the same, another bum on the bus, trying to stay sober a day, an hour a minute at a time and working these 12 steps to be happy joyous and free.

No comments:

Post a Comment