Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Big Book Quote of the Day - May 27, 2009

"We began to see that the world and its people really dominated us.  In that state, the wrong-doing of others, fancied or real, had power to actually kill. How could we escape? We saw that these resentments must be mastered, but how? We could not wish them away any more than alcohol."

- Alcoholics Anonymous, 4Th Edition, How It Works, pg. 66

In Step 4, I began to identify my resentments.  Resentments like all of my defects and my alcoholism had to be removed by a power greater than myself whom I choose to call God.  As I worked the steps, I realized by the time I got to step 6 that the obsession and the compulsion to drink had been removed.  I knew that God was active in my life.  I knew that any defect of character or resentment that I had could and would be removed by God if I simply asked for His will to be done and for me to be happy, joyous and free as it says in our literature.  I would no longer be a prisoner to alcohol, drugs or any kind of negative emotion or power.  I could truly be free. That's how it works.

- PeterB in NC

No comments:

Post a Comment