Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Big Book Quote of the Day - May 19, 2009

"We cannot be helpful to all people, but at least God will show us how to take a kindly and tolerant view of each and every one."

- Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, pg. 67

When I first got into the program, I very much wanted to get in touch with all the people that I knew that needed the fellowship and needed this program and this God-given opportunity that I had experienced. 

I found out very quickly that I CANNOT pick who I give the gift back to.  It is God who makes these people ready.  I just have to be ready to do His will and help who He see fit to put into my path.  It is yet another opportunity for me to turn it over and stop taking control.

With 14 years of sobriety, I buried my father who had the same disesase that I do. For all of those years I was unable to help him.  It really rings true that I am but just the messenger, I am not the message.

- PeterB in NC

No comments:

Post a Comment