Friday, May 15, 2009

Big Book Quote of the Day - May 15, 2009

"Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental
defense against the first drink. Except in a few rare cases, neither
he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense
must come from a Higher Power."

- Alcoholics Anonymous, 4Th Edition, More About Alcoholism, Page 43


As I look over this reading, once again it makes it very clear to me that my Higher Power (who I choose to call God) needs to be at the center of my recovery at all levels.  I speak many times to people who have relapsed and ask them, "what happened?" Going to meetings?  Yes, a lot of people do that.  Most of all, its just a natural thing for an alcoholic to drink.  So I have to be on my guard and keep my spiritual house in order. Whether that's going to meetings, keeping my side of the street clean, asking God for help, and working toward having that conscious contact with God and keeping that in all areas of my day.  

Slowly (in my recovery) I became aware of one thing. Even with all of my work (calling my sponsor, working the steps, being of service, having a service commitment) it can still come - the disease can still come to rear its ugly head and attack me and I will have no defense.  That frightened me.  It still does.

I can never rest on my laurels.  I have to continue to the footwork and keep a connection to a Higher Power that will guide and protect me - one day at a time.  

-Peter B in NC

No comments:

Post a Comment