Monday, May 18, 2009

Big Book Quote of the Day - May 18, 2009

"So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making. They arise out of ourselves, and the alcoholic is an extreme example of  self-will run riot, though he usually doesn't think so." 

~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4Th Edition, How It Works, pg. 62
 
As I go over our reading this morning, I clearly know that, when I came to the program, I thought all my problems were people, places and things.  If only I had the right job, the right girlfriend, the right wife, the right car or the right amount of money in the bank of course then I would be happy.  If people would just follow my direct6ions and do what I told them to do as the great director that I would be happy and life would be perfect.  

Never did I look at the fact that it was on me and I was the problem.  Because I made my  own misery and I always wanted to get my share, I was always looking at the situation and finding that I was afraid that someone would take something that was rightfully mine or I wasn't going to get what was due me.  I was always in a state of flux of uncertainty and unhappiness and looking for something other than inside myself to really become  happy. 

So in finding that my Higher Power takes care of  me in ALL situations,  I came to be truly free.

- Peter B in NC

No comments:

Post a Comment