Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Big Book Quote of the Day - June 2, 2009

"It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual
condition."

- Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 85

It is a one day a time program - no matter how many days you are able to string together.  I am always wondering how much can I do to keep myself away from a drink.  The disease of alcoholism is always waiting around the dark corner for alcoholics to not take it seriously because "Oh, I have this many years sober" that I might not be affected by its lure and mystique.  I know from experience that its a day to day experience of being sober and doing the next right thing.  Getting on my knees and asking for help and asking God to give me this day in sobiety and making the most of it.  I have seen many people who have taken for granted this beautiful gift and have went by the wayside.  I always think (as I walk to the podium to pick up a chip) how many dead bodies I step on as I get there.  It is just a gift.

- PeterB in NC

No comments:

Post a Comment